MASS is seeking a full-time Civil Engineer to join our team in Kigali, Rwanda. Our project needs are constantly growing and changing, so rather than advertise for a specific position we are instead seeking a broad array of candidates to join our growing team, of varying backgrounds and levels of experience. These collaborative individuals will support our multi-disciplinary Engineering Team and play a key role in the design and construction supervision of building services for MASS projects. The candidate is anticipated to support a variety of projects, integrating innovative, sustainable and low energy solutions to tackle design problems across the continent. We are particularly searching for people who are passionate about learning and applying techniques such as rainwater harvesting, greywater reuse, and natural wastewater treatment technologies. Once projects reach the construction phase the candidate will work alongside the site team to ensure construction meets design intent.
The ideal candidate will have:
- A bachelor's degree in civil engineering
- A masters or other specialist civils training is an advantage
- Ability to work collaboratively in team settings, while exhibiting individual initiative and strong time-management skills
- Verbal and written communication skills, and the ability to communicate effectively with various audiences including senior leadership, constructors, partners/clients and the communities they serve
- A commitment to applying the MASS methodology and enforcing high project standards, delivering own work in connection with broader team/project goals
- Special interest/expertise in wastewater treatment, water sourcing or water treatment is an advantage
- Demonstrated interest in innovative, sustainable and low energy solutions is an advantage. Proficiency in AutoCAD. Knowledge of Autodesk Civil 3D
In addition for junior roles:
- Minimum 1 year experience in a design or site role, focused on civil engineering (e.g. roads, earthworks, utility networks, wastewater treatment, stormwater management etc)
- Experience working in construction in East Africa. Capacity to contribute across project phases, from scheme design work through design development and construction documentation
- Attention to detail, a commitment to accuracy and ability to self-check own work
- A positive and proactive attitude. Knowledge of GIS applications is an advantage
- Knowledge of analysis packages is an advantage - e.g. SSA, HydroCAD, EPANET etc.
In addition for senior roles:
- 5-10+ years of professional experience working on all phases of design and design management including scheme design, development of design documents, construction detailing, coordination, management of construction documents, specifications and design reports
- Expertise in civil engineering design, including access, grading, retaining, site utilities networks, stormwater management and wastewater treatment
- The capacity to coordinate collaboratively with other disciplines, particularly Landscape Architecture and MEP
- A track record of managing project schedules and budgets. Experience in site assessments for early design stages
- Experience overseeing civil works through construction, ideally in East Africa
- Understanding of typical construction practice and the capacity to develop standards and protocols to improve quality
- Ability to interrogate Bills of Quantities, and review and adjust designs based on project costing advantages
- Skill in developing clear work plans, establishing clear project roles, tracking schedules and budgets, developing quality standards and protocols, and training and mentoring junior team members. A commitment to setting a culture of excellency, accuracy and attention to detail
- Command of GIS applications; Proficiency in analysis packages e.g. SSA, HydroCAD, EPANET etc. Registered with a recognized engineering institution
At MASS Design Group we want people to be afforded the ability to do public interest work as a career and offer competitive salaries, health insurance, retirement plans as well as the opportunity to work with lighthouse organizations on seminal projects that promote justice and human dignity.
With over 120 employees from almost a dozen countries, MASS lives our belief that only a diverse staff from widely varied cultural and socioeconomic backgrounds is properly equipped to tackle complex challenges in our communities. We aspire to create a more inclusive architecture and engineering profession and encourage all qualified individuals to apply.
Interested candidates should submit all application materials through the SlideRoom portal. We encourage applicants to apply as soon as possible - we will review applications as we receive them and close the opening online when we find the right candidate. We will be in touch with next steps once your application has been reviewed.