Design Researcher / Design Strategist
We invite highly qualified and motivated candidates to join our Boston-based design research & strategy team in helping develop and support thematic ideas of architectural design inquiry and organizational strategy by conducting topical research, engagement & analysis to support project partners in early phases of design development. You will also have opportunities to work on a range of projects across MASS’s offices and may include topical research related to areas of practice (Housing, education, health, etc.) study, and graphically document how design and the practice of design impacts society. Working with our Design Research & Planning Team your primary role will be to support thematic areas of inquiry aligned with organization strategy, which may include topical research related to areas of practice (e.x. Education, health, etc.) as well as industry research relating to methodologies of practice. Research will be investigative as well as representational, finding ways to assess, and effectively graphically communicate historical and analytical concepts., as well as provide support to strategic and operational aspects of the organization.
Who we’re looking for:
The ideal candidate will possess the critical thinking abilities to make observations across scales and disciplines, the knowledge to recognize relationships and deploy a range of methods to understand areas of inquiry, the confidence to invent new methods when alternatives are found lacking, and the skills to communicate new tools and findings to a diverse audience. To do this, you must have an understanding of general research methods; be knowledgeable and empathetic; be eager to expand a specific area of expertise and apply it to other areas of our work; be able to contextualize specific data across a range of applications to meet a variety of needs and be investigative as well as representational, finding ways to assess, and effectively graphically communicate historical and analytical concepts.
- Amplify existing architectural design research work at MASS, by building on existing knowledge, expertise, and project work.
- Collaborate with project teams across portfolios, disciplines, and regions
- Conduct literature reviews and critical evaluation of existing research topics of interest
- Assist in planning and facilitation of human-centered design workshops
- Assist in project narrative development and storytelling
- Assist with synthesizing data findings and information into high quality visualizations, presentations and work with team to develop design principles, design briefs and programming documents to guide design decisions
- Support overall research work and presentation strategies on architectural design
What we’re looking for:
- Graphic representation and presentation skills
- Experience with Adobe Creative Suite (specifically InDesign and Illustrator)
- Experience in Human Centered Design and Design Strategy
- Self-motivated, self-directed work ethic.
- Curiosity and a drive to expand skills and knowledge beyond the scope of perceived field.
- Attention to detail when conducting research and development-related administrative tasks.
- A Bachelor’s or Master’s degree in a relevant area of study
- Interest or experience in conducting research, from identifying research questions, to developing methodologies, to executing research projects, to disseminating findings.
At MASS Design Group we want people to be afforded the ability to do public interest work as a career and offer competitive salaries, health insurance, and retirement plans, as well as the opportunity to work with lighthouse organizations on seminal projects that promote justice and human dignity.
With over 250 employees from almost a dozen countries, MASS lives our belief that only a diverse staff from widely varied cultural and socioeconomic backgrounds is properly equipped to tackle complex challenges in our communities. We aspire to create a more inclusive architecture profession and encourage all qualified individuals to apply.
Qualified candidates should submit all application materials through the SlideRoom portal. Please, no phone calls or recruiting agencies. Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis so it is recommended to apply early. We will be in touch with next steps once your application has been reviewed.