Chief Financial Officer
MASS Design Group Ltd. was founded on the belief that architecture’s reach extends beyond individual buildings. We were honored with the 2022 AIA Architecture Firm Award for our mission of furthering justice and human dignity through design. Headquartered in Boston, we operate internationally. We are looking for a mission-driven CFO who brings a systems-oriented, innovative, and visionary approach to the organization’s senior leadership.
As a member of senior leadership, the CFO will oversee all organizational finances and key controls, lead new system design and change management, and will provide leadership for a dedicated support team and operations management as well as mentorship for design project managers. The CFO will report to the Executive Leadership Team and work closely with a motivated and engaged governance committee of MASS Managing Directors/Senior Principals.
The position is hybrid, ideally headquartered in our Boston office, and will require national and international travel.
Specific responsibilities include:
- Partner with Senior Principals/Managing Directors (Senior Leadership) on all financial and strategic issues as they arise.
- Provide strategic recommendations to Senior Leadership based on financial analysis and projections, cost identification and allocation, and revenue/expense analysis.
- Oversee and deploy unrestricted resources and develop strategies for engaging principals in its strategic deployment, maximizing financial, social and internal returns on investment.
- Consult with the Directors of Business Development and Advancement to align financial management with short- and long-term financial planning and projections.
- Engage the board finance committee around issues, trends, and changes in the operating model and operational delivery.
Financial and Operational Management
- Prepare and manage all budgets, forecasts, and internal financial plans and processes.
- Oversee an international accounting team.
- Develop KPIs for internal leadership and Board of Directors.
- Ensure that finance staff maintains financial record systems in accordance with GAAP and IFRS.
- Skillfully combine and report on combined for-profit and nonprofit business functions.
- Oversee the preparation and approval of all financial reporting materials and metrics for funding organizations and MASS Board of Directors.
- Report regularly to the Board of Directors
- Generate and communicate monthly, quarterly, and annual financial reporting.
- Manage cash flow and forecasting.
- Improve upon existing procedures and ensure adherence.
- Coordinate all audit activities.
The CFO will be a thoughtful and experienced leader with significant experience (5-10+ years), including work in complex nonprofit and/or professional service organizations (e.g. architecture) of comparable scale to MASS ($15M+ budget, 200+ employees, managing team of 10+). They will ideally have experience managing all core finance functions (accounting, budgeting, control, and reporting) as well as providing team-focused and organizational leadership. Work with international subsidiaries, architecture/design, or construction companies is a plus.
The CFO will have the following experience and attributes:
- Bachelor’s Degree in Accounting, Finance, or Management
- CPA and/or MBA preferred
- Mature and proactive, with evidence of having worked with non-profit Boards of Directors.
- Demonstrated excellence in managing finance, accounting, budgeting, control, and reporting
- Skill in examining, developing, reengineering, and recommending policies and procedures
- Strong analytical skills and experience interpreting a strategic vision into an operational model
- A collaborative and flexible style, with a strong dedication to mentorship and learning
- A hands-on manager with integrity and a desire to work in a dynamic, mission-driven environment
- An effective communicator, with strong oral and written skills
- Strong commitment to developing team members
Demonstrated commitment to the social sector with a passion for MASS’s mission and culture is essential. At MASS Design Group we want people to be afforded the ability to do public interest work as a career and offer competitive salaries, health insurance, and retirement plans, as well as the opportunity to work with lighthouse organizations on seminal projects that promote justice and human dignity.
With over 200 employees from almost a dozen countries, MASS lives our belief that only a diverse staff from widely varied cultural and socioeconomic backgrounds is properly equipped to tackle complex challenges in our communities. We aspire to create a more inclusive architecture profession and encourage all qualified individuals to apply.
Qualified candidates should submit all application materials through the SlideRoom portal. Please, no phone calls or recruiting agencies. We will be in touch with next steps once your application has been reviewed.